Everybody has a favorite hummus recipe, right? Well…sometimes the answer is ‘no.’ This post is for those poor deprived souls who don’t already have their own go-to recipe for hummus.
This is super easy and so much cheaper than buying a tub of it in the store ~ some of them are quite pricey. (And have you checked out the ingredients lists on some of those? Ick. I don’t like canola oil or vinegar. I want healthier choices.)
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2-2 T. lemon juice
- 2 T. tahini (Joyva is my favorite brand – for taste and ease of stirring)
- 1-2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove fresh garlic (2-3 for garlic hummus)
- 1/4-1/3 c. chopped onion
- heaping 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4-1/3 c. water (depending on how watery your onion is, and desired thickness)
Blend either in food processor or blender until very smooth.
Variations: add in one or more of the following ~ roasted garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, green onion, dillweed, spinach, etc. Look at the flavors in the store and experiment with add-ins. If you are adding in a slightly liquidy item, decrease your water.