What do you do with excess zucchini when friends go on vacation and welcome you to help yourself to their extras? (Especially when you miss one that hides well and it gets pretty big?) You invent a new casserole, of course! Doesn’t everyone do that? ;D
- lots of zucchini, sliced thinly – no more than 1/4″ thick (mine was about 1 ft. long with a 3″ diameter)
- frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 8-10 oz. package vegan cheese, shredded
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly and broken apart into separate rings or half rings
- 2 jars (24 oz.) of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 1 pkg. vegan chorizo (mine was from Trader Joe’s, but Walmart has one, too)
Preheat oven to 350°.
Chop chorizo with a fork into the spaghetti sauce. Put 1/3 of the sauce into the bottom of a 4 qt. dish. Add a layer of frozen potatoes so that the sauce is barely seen or not at all. Add a layer of zucchini. Cover with half of the cheese. Add a layer of onion rings. Add another 1/3 of the sauce. Cover with another layer of zucchini, then cheese, then potatoes. Finish with the last 1/3 of the sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Turn oven up to 450° and continue baking for another 45-60 minutes.
Serve with garlic bread to dip into the marvelous saucy, spicy juices, or serve over rice, quinoa, or pasta.